Mold itself is not considered toxic or poisonous, but some mold can produce toxic substances called mycotoxins. Not all mold produces mycotoxins, but is not certain why or how mycotoxins are produced when they are. “Black Molds” are known for developing mycotoxins and can affect your health.
Over 200 mycotoxins that come from common molds have been identified. They can be absorbed by your skin, airways and intestinal lining. For some, mold does not cause health problems, but for many people who are sensitive to mold, it can cause problems. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, all household mold has the potential to cause illness. Type and severity may depend on your own personal health condition, types of mold present, and extent of exposure. Exposure to mold can have a serious effect on your quality of life and can cause a cycle of chronic illness if not treated.
The most common health effects caused by mold are allergic reactions. They may occur immediately or develop over a long period of time. Symptoms include: runny nose, coughing, sneezing, water or itchy eyes, redness in the eyes, sneezing, skin rash, muscle and joint pain or stiffness and sometimes GI problems.
Also, asthma attacks can be triggered by mold by those diagnosed with asthma. Some people have the potential to develop severe reactions that include high fever and difficulty breathing. People with chronic lung diseases can even develop lung infections.
Mold spores are very difficult to kill with common household cleaners such as bleach and hot water. If your mold problem is significant, mold remediation is recommended. If the problem is caught early enough, it can save you potentially thousands of dollars in removal and cleanup costs. It is important that mold in your home be assessed and removed by our professional staff at Orbit Restoration.